Þórsmörk, a unique area nestled between three glaciers, is one of the few places in Iceland with a forest big enough to get lost in. This area is perfect for exploring on foot. Thankfully, even with the high tree canopy, a well-maintained trail network should help keep you on track (pun alert!).
Those wishing to explore this area should be well prepared for hiking, wear appropriate hiking clothing, and have the appropriate navigational equipment (map, compass) with good experience on how to use it. If you prefer, you can also explore these trails as part of a guided tour of the area.
Keep on reading if you want to know more about popular hiking routes in Þórsmörk!
Hikes starting in Langidalur or Húsadalur
- A moderately easy hike, starting and ending in Langidalur or Húsadalur (Volcano Huts). A popular hike with panoramic views over the whole of Þórsmörk.
- Distance: 2.5km, 230m climb
- Time: approximately 3 hours
- Tindfjöll Circle
- A medium difficulty hike, starting at Langidalur or Volcano Huts.
- Distance: the ring is 8km, 360m climb and similar descent.
- Time: 5-7 hours
- Medium/difficult hike, starting from halfway along the Tindfjöll circle taking you to the peak of Rjúnafell mountain. This is one-way route, so you must return the way you came. Stunning views to Fjallabak to the north over the Laugavegur trail, towards Landmannalaugar.
- Distance (one way): 3km from Tindfjöll trail to peak, 465m climb, 80m descent
- Return time to Tindfjöll circle: 3-4 hours
Hikes starting in Básar
- A moderate hike, starting in Básar with options to reach the peak and return the same way or extend into a circuit. Unbeatable views across to Eyjafjalljökull and over Þórsmörk.
- Distance (circle): 4 km, 270m climb
- Time (circle): 3-4 hours
- A medium-hard hike which leads you up an impressive peak with expansive views over Mýrdalsjökull and Katla. Like Rjupnafell it is best to return the way you came.
- Distance (one way): 5km, 500m climb
- Time (one way): 3-4 hours
For those looking for multiday hikes, then both the Laugavegur and Fimmvörðuháls trails start/end in Þórsmörk. Langidalur marks the beginning and end of the Laugavegur trail and Fimmvörðuháls begins and ends in Básar or Langidalur.
Contact the What’s On booking centres for more information on guided and self-guided tours in Þórsmörk, including transport options.