April is a great month to be visiting Iceland. The days are getting longer and brighter, but the nights are still dark enough for northern lights sightings. The promise of springtime is wafting through the air, but it’s wintry enough to strap on your skis or snowboard to carve your way down the slopes. Plus, there’s Easter chocolate everywhere you look! Here are What’s On’s tips for this month:
- Buy a chocolate Easter egg (and try not to devour the whole thing in one sitting).
- Wash down all that chocolate with one of the seasonal Easter beers on tap at a local pub.
- Spot the northern lights. Book a tour before the aurora season ends this month.
- Hit the slopes! The Bláfjöll ski resort is just a 25-minutes drive from the city centre.
- Meet an Icelandic horse. Feel the early spring sun on your face during a horse riding tour.
- Celebrate Sumardagurinn fyrsti (the First Day of Summer) on April 21 with a frosty ice cream.
- Take a hike. Head out on a marked trail or book a glacier hike to really up the ante.
While you’re checking things off the list, snap some photos and tag #whatsonrvk on Instagram.